“I’d far rather be happy than right” – Douglas Adams
Happiness is like a perpetual motivation machine. Those who are happy recognize how wonderful it is, and those who don’t have it are aware on some level of a distinct lack.
Happiness is also mostly about perspective. Anyone can relatively easily BE happy, but most people aren’t. Happiness is simply a way of perceiving the events that happen to you. For instance if two people are both robbed. One may say “The Universe is out to get me, this is everyone else’s fault.” That person doesn’t seem very happy. While the other may say “This happens from time to time”. And then he moves on. Both have been robbed. Both are in the same state, but ones happy and one isn’t. Why? Perspective. How they perceived what happened to them.
Happiness is How You Perceive Things
Therefore in the name of making everyone happier, I’ve assembled some easy to integrate tips. Guaranteed to make anyone happier quickly.
1. Buy experiences and not things, ideally with someone else or for someone else.
2. Be kind to others, show gratitude. Share positivity with others.
3. Build strong relationships. Animals usually provide unconditional affection to their owners. This reduces stress.
4. Smile. Announce an intention to be happy to the world and to yourself. Decide to be happy and you will be. Don’t succumb to others negativity. Remember perspective.
5. Achieve balance between body and soul. Ground yourself in the present. Sink into non judgemental mindfulness, no thoughts of the future or the past. Just exist and be aware of it.
6. Focus on your sense of purpose. On contributing to the greater good.
“You’re as happy as you make up your mind to be” -Abraham Lincoln
If you want to do some further reading on the subject of using mindsets to achieve happiness. Read this book by Martin Seligman “Learned Optimism“.
I hope these tips have given you some ideas on how to become a little happier. It’s really not that hard if you put your mind to it. If you found these tips helpful, share them with your friends or family and comment how you intend to become happier today.